Mac OS X Dynamic DNS client for Namecheap

The place to discuss Namecheap.com's domain registration services and domain names in general

Mac OS X Dynamic DNS client for Namecheap

Postby antwonw » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:35 am

EDIT: Solution for Dynamic DNS client for Mac OS X here: https://community.namecheap.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4480&start=10#p17216

I am pulling my hair out trying to find a dynamic dns client for mac os x. I am at a total loss. Here are what i've done so far:

Enabling Dynamic DNS:
My Account>Manage Domains>adashw.com(clicked on my domain name)>Dynamic DNS>checked enable>clicked Save Changes

New sub-domain:
All Host Records>under Sub-Domain Settings (settings below)>Save Changes
news | 127.0.0.1 | A (Address) | n/a | 60

So all my settings with Namecheap are good. But it's trying to find a dynamic dns client for Mac OS X that works with namecheap that is a pain in the butt.

I have found ddclient (http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ddclient/wiki).

I installed the ddclient perl script to /usr/sbin/
I then created a config fine in /etc/ddclient/ddclient.conf
This is what my config file looks like:

Code: Select all
## NameCheap (namecheap.com)
##
daemon=300
protocol=namecheap
server=dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com
login=ABC (username I login with at namecheap.com)
password=XYZ (the password that the Namecheap.com Dynamic DNS gave me)
news.adashw.com

I then ran the perl script in Terminal using "/usr/sbin/ddclient -daemon 300 -syslog"

Although it's still not updating the DNS. I keep checking All Host Records on my Namecheap domain.

Any suggestions on A) How to get this ddclient to work or B) Another Mac OS X compatible client that will work?
Last edited by antwonw on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
antwonw

Re: Mac OS X Dynamic DNS client for Namecheap

Postby StasT » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Hello,

Please try using the following configuration:

##
daemon=300
protocol=namecheap
login=adashw.com (the domain name instead of the username)
password=XYZ (the password that the Namecheap.com Dynamic DNS gave you)
news (only the host name)

Another Mac OS X compatible client that should work is Dyn Updater.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Stas,
Namecheap.com
StasT
Namecheap Staff

Postby antwonw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:19 am

StasT wrote:Hello,
Another Mac OS X compatible client that should work is Dyn Updater.

Will Dyn Updater work with Namecheap's Dynmanic DNS? I am wanting to use a sub-domain of my domain name with Namecheap for my DDNS.

Updated my config file (this is now it below) and re-ran ddclient.

##
daemon=300
protocol=namecheap
login=adashw.com
password=186f77e5e78f4c728c57a7093a4a9e3f
cepheus

Isn't my web ip suppose to show in my Namecheap's All Host Records? Currently it just shows the 127.0.0.1 I originally entered to make the sub-domain (see below).

antwonw

Postby AlexS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:28 pm

antwonw wrote:Will Dyn Updater work with Namecheap's Dynmanic DNS?

Sorry for the confusion, we will make our Dynamic DNS protocol compatible with Dyn within the next few months, so for now it won't work.

As for the DDClient setup, the config looks correct. Are you getting any errors while trying to update your IP address?

Thanks,
Alex
Namecheap.com
AlexS
Customer Experience Manager

Postby antwonw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:00 am

AlexS wrote:Sorry for the confusion, we will make our Dynamic DNS protocol compatible with Dyn within the next few months, so for now it won't work.

That is awesome! About when do you think it will be compatible? And how exactly will it work with DynDNS Updater client? Will you login with your Namecheap account, I'm confused because currently it only DynDNS Updater client for Mac OS X only works with DynDNS.com. Can I request that you make it so the user can tell it how often to send the ip update? Otherwise, for me, it won't work behind a network. It will however it the update interval is fairly frequent.

AlexS wrote:As for the DDClient setup, the config looks correct. Are you getting any errors while trying to update your IP address?

I just restarted my system. Ran "/usr/sbin/ddclient daemon 300 -syslog" and just "ddclient" both responded with no errors.

Last login: Mon Mar 12 16:44:05 on console
Cepheus:~ Cepheus$ /usr/sbin/ddclient -daemon 300 -syslog
Cepheus:~ Cepheus$ ddclient
Cepheus:~ Cepheus$

After checking my All Host Records page 15 minutes after, it still shows my original local IP I entered, 127.0.0.1, to setup the sub-domain.

Any ideas?

Do I need to take out the daemon line in my config file? Do I need to have commas after each item in my config file?

I'm so confused why it's not working. I am doing everything textboox.
antwonw

Postby antwonw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:13 am

Alright, as an update I got it to work in a weird non-correct way.

ddcleint.conf
##
daemon=300
protocol=namecheap
login=adashw.com
password=186f77e5e78f4c728c57a7093a4a9e3f
cepheus

In order to get it working I went into my All Host Records and changed my sub-domain's IP to my server running ddclient web IP (what the browser says is the web IP even though eth0 is an internal 172.16.x.x IP).

Namecheap.com All Host Records - before manual change
cepheus | 127.0.0.1 | A (Address)

Namecheap.com All Host Records - after manual change
cepheus | 74.85.81.7 | A (Address)

It worked, however this is not dynamic DNS working. This is me manually entering in the IP address. So if my computer's web IP were to change, cepheus.adashw.com would no longer dynamically route to my computer.

So the question still remains, how can I get ddclient to update my computers web IP into my sub-domain's Host IP Record?
antwonw

Postby MaryS » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:10 pm

antwonw wrote:That is awesome! About when do you think it will be compatible? And how exactly will it work with DynDNS Updater client? Will you login with your Namecheap account, I'm confused because currently it only DynDNS Updater client for Mac OS X only works with DynDNS.com. Can I request that you make it so the user can tell it how often to send the ip update? Otherwise, for me, it won't work behind a network. It will however it the update interval is fairly frequent.

It should be possible to use the protocol within next few months. The client will work in the same way it does now and you will be able to activate the service for the domain in the same way as it can be done now.

Regarding the issue with the Ip address not being updated under the account for cepheus.adashw.com subdomain it is advisable to check the work of the client itself from your side, you can also try to contact us via ticket system here: https://support.namecheap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit for us to investigate in case there is some issue from our side.

Thank you.
MaryS
Namecheap Staff

Postby mkara180 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:42 pm

I am struggling with doing this as well. I tried ddclient and got nowhere, even using the settings above.

After a lengthy chat session with support, I asked for client alternatives and was given this link:

http://dyn.com/support/clients/mac/

When I download this client, it asks me to provide a username and password. I enter my domain name registered at namecheap, and the ridiculously long password (tried both typing it in and pasting it in), and it comes back to tell me it's invalid.

Is there another configuration file with Dyn's updater that I should change to point to namecheap?

I really need some help getting this going and have spent hours messing around and somewhat regretting my purchase decision here. :cry:
mkara180

Postby MichM » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:55 am

mkara180 wrote:I am struggling with doing this as well. I tried ddclient and got nowhere, even using the settings above.

After a lengthy chat session with support, I asked for client alternatives and was given this link:

http://dyn.com/support/clients/mac/

We sincerely apologize for the confusion, but our Dynamic DNS protocol is not yet compatible with Dyn and is going to be modified within the next few months. Our technical team is working on this.

We will post updates as soon as it is ready for use. We appreciate your patience.

Regards,
Mich M.
Namecheap.com
MichM
Namecheap Staff

Postby parkernathan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 am

Mitch,

Do you know if you have successfully updated your Dynamic DNS to work with Dyn? I have a Cisco RVS4000 router that supports DynDNS setups that I'm using with DynDNS right now, but if you support these clients now, I can move my Dynamic DNS hosting over to you and save a little money each year.

Thanks!
parkernathan

Next

Return to Domain Names

Need help? We're always here for you.

× Close