How to connect my new domain to Tumblr?

The place to discuss Namecheap.com's domain registration services and domain names in general

How to connect my new domain to Tumblr?

Postby IndianaStyle » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Hello,

I have read here: http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains all the steps. I am missing the first.

---

Step One

First, you'll need to buy a domain from a registrar like Namecheap, pairNIC, Register, or iWantMyName. This usually costs $10-$40 per year. Then, you need to make a configuration change with your registrar:

If you are using a subdomain that has three or more levels, like http://www.mywebsite.com or blog.mywebsite.com, follow the registrar's instructions to point the CNAME record for the subdomain to domains.tumblr.com.

OR

If you are using a domain that has only two levels, like mywebsite.com, follow the registrar's instructions to point the domain's A-record (IP address) to 66.6.44.4.

You only need to make one of the changes above depending on whether you are using a subdomain or a domain with your blog. You do not need to make both changes.

---

Do I have to go under
"> My Account > Manage Domains > Modify Domain"
"ENTER YOUR CUSTOM DOMAIN NAME SERVER INFORMATION"?

It prompts me:

You are currently using our domain name servers (DNS) for your domain.

You can change it and start using your own name servers or name servers of someone
else like your webhost. This step is sometimes known as 'transferring the
domain' by some webhosts. Please note that using custom nameservers will
disable some of our free features like e-mail forwarding, url forwarding etc.,
as these functionalities depend on our nameservers.

Please enter DNS name only (ex: ns1.mydomain.com). Please don't enter IP
addresses
. You can enter up to five name servers. It is advisable to enter atleast
two nameservers for a domain. Please note that it will take up to 24 hours for
the changes to take effect.
Please note that if you are setting up DNS servers for .eu or .ca domains,
use the IPAddress--dns.name format (ex: 12.12.32.22--ns1.domain.com)

---

What should I do exactly? :?:

Thank you all,
Andrea.
IndianaStyle

Re: How to connect my new domain to Tumblr?

Postby IrinaG » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:13 am

Hello,

If your domain is pointed to our Namecheap default nameservers you will need to do the following in order to connect it with your tumblr account:

1) You need to login to your Namecheap account, go to 'My account' > 'Manage Domains', click on the domain and choose the 'All Host Records' option from the left side menu.

2) if you wish to use a subdomain for your tumblr account you will need to put 'domains.tumblr.com' in the IP ADDRESS/URL field and choose the CNAME (alias) as a RECORD TYPE for this subdomain.

3) if you wish to use your naked domain name you will need to put '66.6.44.4' in the IP ADDRESS/URL field and choose the A (address) as a RECORD TYPE for '@'

4) please click on the 'Save changes' button from the left side menu

Then you will need to follow the next step from your tumblr account.

Please kindly contact us via the live chat or ticket system at https://support.namecheap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit if you require any further assistance.

Regards,
Irina G.
IrinaG
Namecheap Staff

Return to Domain Names

Need help? We're always here for you.

× Close